- Exhibitions must include a minimum of two (min. 2) artists working in any medium;
- Either the Curator or the Artists must reside in one of the five New York City boroughs;
- Collectives are encouraged to apply, as are experimental uses of the exhibition space, and in those cases, public programs with an aesthetic component are strongly encouraged, but not required.
- PS122 Gallery welcomes applications that help our organization achieve its DEIA+ goals;
- Matriculated students are not eligible;
- Limit yourself to one (1) final submission; duplicates will be discarded.
The 2023 Exhibition Open Call features
- A $1200 stipend for honoraria;
- A $1200 budget for production support;
- Installation documentation by a professional photographer;
- Curatorial assistance/advisement;
- Please note: there is no additional budget for shipment, travel, lodging, etc.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2023 at 11:59 pm EST
Notifications: The week of February 13, 2023
Exhibition Dates: February 25 – March 19, 2023 _OR_ March 25 – April 16, 2023
To fill out the application form below, please submit the following materials
- Contact information — Name and Email for one representative of the exhibition.
- Exhibition Proposal — A brief description of your concept (500 words / 3500 characters).
- Artist names — Please enter the names (sep. by commas) of participating artists (Min. 2)
(Artists must have been invited and confirmed prior to their inclusion).
- Proposed Budget — Demonstrable consideration of an equitable distribution of honoraria and production budget for all participants (500 words / 3500 characters).
- Images — Combined PDF including up to ten (max. 10) images of work, installation shots, and/or proposed layout with captions (including title, date, medium, dimensions and a brief narrative description) (max file size 10MB); Please include screenshots and links for any video/audio works. NB: Gallery images and floorplan can be found here.
- CVs/Resumes — Combined PDF of current CVs/Resumes for all curators and all artists.
Please email any questions to: email@example.com with the subject line 2023 Exhibition Open Call
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
PS122 Gallery is a not-for-profit alternative exhibition space in the East Village operating since 1979. It is dedicated to fostering and developing the arts by providing opportunities and support services for emerging and under-recognized artists. It is an ongoing program of Painting Space 122, the grassroots, artist-run cooperative that helped foster the vibrant cultural community at the City of New York-owned 122 Community Center (122CC). The Gallery’s programs are interdisciplinary and inclusive, highlighting artistic practices and practitioners regardless of age, race, gender, ability, geographic and ethnic origin. The Gallery encourages audience participation through public programs and interactive exhibitions.
PS122 Gallery is free and open to the public and inclusive of all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, LGBTQIA+ identity, and class. Conveniently located on the ground floor of the 122 Community Center in the East Village of Manhattan near several public transportation lines, PS122 Gallery provides wheelchair accessibility through the 122CC main entrance, as well as wheelchair accessible water fountains and all-gender restrooms.